As the prophet was speaking to us, I couldn't help but think if the roles were reversed and my grandpa was there with President Monson's family he would have done the exact same thing. He would have made the family feel important and took time to talk with them. He definitely would have told stories and had everyone laughing and crying. I will never forget this once in a lifetime experience.
The next day was the funeral. It was very hard to watch all my aunts, uncles, cousins, but especially my grandma say their last goodbye's to my grandpa. My mom and all her sisters spoke and they did such a great job and it brought back more memories of my grandpa that I had forgotten. Like when I was younger he would have grandma play the organ while he danced with me.
Later in the funeral Elder Holland said a few words. I loved that when he spoke he looked directly at my grandma. After Elder Holland, Elder Packer got up and spoke. He said some things that I will never forget. He pronounced a special blessing to my grandma that all of her children and their families will make it to the celestial kingdom. Maybe one will fall away here and there but they will always come back. When he spoke those words I felt so inadequate to receive such a blessing. At the same time it made me want to live up to that blessing. Then I thought of Colby and I just had a sigh of relief. I hope he never falls away but if he does I know that he will come back. This was such a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. I am so grateful that I am my grandpa's grandaughter. I believe that because of him and the way he taught my mom, I am who I am. I love you grandpa and I can't wait to see you again!
6 comments:
Wow Jewels. That was incredible. What a special day for your family. That blessing from Pres. Packer was amazing. What a comfort to look back on for the rest of your life. Thanks for sharing. Have a great birthday tomorrow and I'll see ya Thurs!
I love this post Jewels. You will always be grateful that you sat down and documented your feelings about this day. Isn't blogging a blessing? Happy day. Been thinking about you all day today....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like your Grandpa was a great man. I am so glad that you had a nice day even if it was emotionally draining. You will never forget it.
What a wonderful post thanks for sharing that day with us. He sounds like a wonderful man, I saw them talk about his on the news as well. Love you and Happy Birthday!
I would love for you to email me those photos! Are they the ones from Deron's phone? It was such an amazing experience! We were lucky to have him as our Grandpa!
How incredible it is to know people as important as you too. Jewels you are an inspiration to me- I really look up to you as a friend and a person. Thanks for being such a tremendous person and example. :)
Luv ya,
Melissa
Post a Comment