Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Back to School

Colby started 1st grade a couple of weeks ago.  He was super nervous to start.  The day before he had to go meet his teacher and it was tortuous to get him to go do that.  He kept saying he couldn't go to 1st grade.  He wasn't going to be able to do it and needed to stay in Kindergarten.  He would miss me and Reese too much to be gone all day.  He told me if Reese started missing him too much during the day then to bring her to the office and he would leave his class and come give her a hug.  After meeting his teacher, he said he could do this and wasn't as nervous anymore.
 
School started on a Friday this year so he got off easy just going a short day for his first day. He was still hesitant but made it through with no problems. The first day, he said he needed to ride his bike like a big first grader and I didn't even need to go with him.  Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.  Darren and I walked with him and helped him put his bike away.  After school, I wasn't exactly sure where he came out so I waited by where he lines up to go in the school.  I was waiting and waiting.  I then realized that I was in the wrong spot and saw his teacher and no Colby.  She said he already left.  I looked by the bike cage and sure enough, he already had his helmet on, was on his bike and was already headed home.  I guess he is a big first grader.
 
 I think the 2nd or 3rd day of school, I was getting him ready to go and he said, "you know what mom, I don't even think about you at all during school, not even once."  I told my friend he said this and she asked if that hurt my heart a little and I said not at all.  I would rather he not think of me at all and be having a great time then at school being miserable.  He has loved going to school. He said his teacher is the nicest teacher EVER. 

Reese also started preschool.  She wasn't nervous one bit, which 6 months ago would have been a different story.  She is very attached to me and would hide from everyone.  Even family members she would see all the time, she would put her head in my chest and wouldn't move for about 20 minutes.  She has grown up a lot in the past few months and is finally (hopefully) past the shyness stage. I walked her into school, helped her hang up her backpack, walked her over to where her class was sitting, she sat down started playing and didn't even notice I was gone.  She had a great first day and loved it but as soon as she got home, she need her blankie.

They made a dragonfly the first day and she was so proud of it.  She asked me to take a picture of her with it.

 The second day, the front office lady said she and her teacher want to take her home with them because they think she is so cute and sweet.  We'll see how long that lasts. :)  Reese has the same teacher Colby had, Miss Rhonda.  Colby still talks about her and how awesome she was.

Reese also started dance.  She was SO beyond excited to take dance.  The day we went and got her dance outfit, she would not take it off and thought she was the cutest.  When I went to pick her up from her first lesson, I asked her how it was.  She said she couldn't go back because it was just too much fun.  Um, wouldn't that mean you would want to go back?  :) 
I told her I was going to take a picture of her in her dance outfit and she said she had to do her dance pose.  Apparently, this was her dance pose.  She IS so cute and sweet.

1 comments:

Judi Rowe said...

It is so fun to watch your sweet children care about each other and grow. They are both sooooo cute!