Tuesday, October 14, 2008

House Hunting

Who knew that trying to find a house could be so hard?! I thought we wouldn't have any problems finding a home fast since this is a "buyers market." The only problem is everything is owned by the bank. I know that sounds like a good thing but its not. Going through the bank is a long process and you may not even get the house. So, you wait and wait to see if you get it and it may be a waste of time. Plus, most of the houses owned by the bank don't come with warranties and come as is, which could require some work. These days there are very few houses on the market that aren't owned by the bank. Darren and I may consider to just build since there aren't very many options. Oh, the frustration! Oh well, it's quite cozy in the parent's basement for the time being. We have one offer in on a bank owned house so we'll see how that goes. I like to call it the "polygamist compound." When you pull up to the house it looks quite big (to my standards anyway) and quite plain looking. So, now my family and Darren and I all call it the "compound." I keep going back and forth on whether I want it or not. It will require some fixing up (new blinds, painting, a few things that need replacing, and the people just left a bunch of junk lying around everywhere) but might be a good financial decision in the future since we may get it for a good deal. We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, we'll just keep hunting.

7 comments:

KJlovesBubba said...

I totally feel ya! That's what we went through for pretty much a year! We finally found a floor plan we both agreed on and felt great about - a few more months to wait while it's being built, but it's what we want (and not lived in - which is a plus for me). Good luck you guys - hang in there!

Life Is Good said...

I am still convinced that you guys need a 1970's brick rambler with your favorite cousin as your nieghbor!

Tierney said...

Yeah, the banks are not fun and pretty stingy right now. Find something by us so Vinny can hang out with Darren more. I swear since we've moved he has not been the same.

KJlovesBubba said...

The last place I thought we'd ever go - Daybreak and building with Holmes no less. I didn't mean to discourage you - just warn you it's a practice in patience! ;)

NatRat said...

Good luck, I will keep my eyes open. There are still some in my neighborhood, I think a few that are not owned by the bank...but then you don't want to live by me, right?:)

Melissa said...

Come by us- they just dropped prices again 20k.
We'd love to have you guys in our neighborhood.

DeRose Family said...

Will you come and see this house in Draper already?! Your hunt is over! (And you'll be much closer to me :)